With the contribution of the LIFE programme of the European Union - LIFE14 ENV/GR/000611 and the co-financing of Green Fund, Greece
European Mobility week 2018
European Mobility week 2018, dated within 16 and 22 September 2018, was dedicated to multimodality, the combination of different modes of transport within the same journey or for different trips. The participation hit a new record, since 2,800 towns and cities from 54 countries took part. LIFE GreenYourMove project’s awareness campaign was also performed within the European Mobility week with a number of activities.
"Mix and move" was the main message communicated through European Mobility week 2018. Visitors were motivated to combine different modes of transport when performing journeys, encouraging people to raise the efficiency of their daily travel needs.
Commissioner Bulc said: “With this year's edition of the EUROPEANMOBILITYWEEK, we want to encourage everyone to consider different mobility options and select the most appropriate ones for each trip. By mixing the ways we move, we can save time, improve our health, and lower our transport costs. This week is also an opportunity for cities to accelerate this social shift by making sure the right services and infrastructure are in place.”
Karmenu Vella, EU Commissioner for Environment, Maritime Affairs and Fisheries, said: “Mixing and moving means supporting a transition to a more human transport system. It means promoting cleaner, more fuel-efficient modes, and more human-powered travel. It’s a great way of keeping the focus at the local level and helping European towns and cities to improve the environmental performance of their transport system. It means cleaner air, quieter cities, and healthier citizens – what’s not to like?”
The European Mobility Week 2018 award are open and participants performing all criteria (week of activities, permanent measures, and Car-Free Day) were eligible to apply.
Since 2002, European Mobility Week has sought to improve public health and quality of life through promoting clean mobility and sustainable urban transport. The campaign gives people the chance to explore the role of city streets and to experiment with practical solutions to tackle urban challenges, such as air pollution.
LIFE GreenYourMove project participated in the European Mobility Week 2018 through a number of activities, including:
• Presentation of GYM application to drivers, stakeholders and transport operators employees ;
• Presentation of the application to travelers waiting to take the bus at specific buses stops and/or central stations;
• Dissemination of GYM project results through local media (e.g. local TV channels, radio, newspaper, websites etc.);
• GYM application stickers placement on the buses (back and/or side of the bus);
• Distribution of GYM flyers and posters to central stations, hotels and universities;
• Free tickets for the downloaders of the app by urban transport operators and TRAINOSE (Greek railway operator) and tickets on discount by intercity buses;
• Users of the apps were registered in order to get for free on of the 10 smart-phones offered by UTH for the promotion of the apps as well as in order to get a discount ticket with TRAINOSE.
Click here for more information
The LIFE GYM [LIFE14 ENV/GR/000611] project is co-funded by the LIFE programme, the EU financial instrument for the environment.
The sole responsibility for the content of this report lies with the authors. It does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the European Union. Neither the EASME nor the European Commission are responsible for any use that may be made of the information contained therein.
Start Date: 15 September 2015 – Duration: 35 months